Product: Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins Review
Type: Open Heel Fin
Cheapest Place to Buy – USA: amazon.com
Colours: Black, Blue, Flamingo, Lime, White, Yellow
Blade Size: (R) Length is 15 inches/38cm
Blade Thrust Area: 120.9 in2/780 cm2
Weight: (R) for the pair 4 lbs/1800g
Buckles: Patented Rubber Bungee Straps
Sizes: Small (6-9), Regular (9-11), X-Large (11-13)
Warranty: 60-120 days Return Policy
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5
The Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins with Dive Mask Overview
When you invest in the best dive fins, you made that crucial decision to have your feet feel good in comfortable fins. Not only should fins give your feet great comfort, it should also give your kicks the right amount of propulsion.
Have you experienced toe or leg cramps underwater? Perhaps you’re diving in a bit of current and you see something you want to take a photo of… but, it’s difficult turning around and you’re having challenges backing up… and so you miss that turtle munching on a sea urchin!
On many occasions, while sitting on the dive boat, I would hear divers talk about how happy they are with their brand new fins while others would talk about things they didn’t like about their fins.
This Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins with Dive Mask review will cover how well the fins work, its pros and cons and where the best place to go to get the best deal to make the purchase.
By the time you finish reading this, you should have a pretty good idea as to whether the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins with Dive Mask is the best dive fin for you!
The Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins with Dive Mask Review
Founded in 1949 in Italy, Mares is one of the largest scuba manufacturer of scuba equipment in the world. Their products range anywhere from dive regulars, octopus, dive computers, BCDs, fins, dive masks, snorkels, dive wear and accessories.
Mares and their affiliates claim to give you the following features on their Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins:
1) Adjustable Mares patented bungee strap (spring strap). Apparently, you only need to stretch the strap on and off your feet. The tension in the strap secures the fin in place.Perfect for all diving conditions. Apparently the fins also work great in currents.
2) Stabilizing trim tabs technology. This is supposed to eliminate ankle twisting.
3) Hi-Flex material made from technopolymers ‘Tecralene’. This type of material is supposed to be durable. Foot pocket is made out of plastic and rubber ‘thermoplastic rubber’. It’s supposed to stretch and go back to its near original shape so they last longer.
4) Tester’s Choice Award in 2016.
5) Open Heel Foot Pocket. Designed to accommodate dive boots with a sole.
6) Foot pocket is supposed to be very soft and provide a comfortable fit.
7) Longer lower section of foot pocket. This is supposed to lower foot cramping and offer more blade power.
8) Perfect for all diving conditions. Apparently the fins also work great in currents.
9) Stabilizing trim tabs technology. This is supposed to eliminate ankle twisting.
10) Hi-Flex material made from technopolymers ‘Tecralene’. This type of material is supposed to be durable. Foot pocket is made out of plastic and rubber ‘thermoplastic rubber’. It’s supposed to stretch and go back to its near original shape so they last longer.
11) Tester’s Choice Award in 2016.
12) Open Heel Foot Pocket. Designed to accommodate dive boots with a sole.
13) Foot pocket is supposed to be very soft and provide a comfortable fit.
14) Longer lower section of foot pocket. This is supposed to lower foot cramping and offer more blade power.
I know this sounds like a lot of technical design stuff went into this Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins, and it’s really quite impressive.
The real question is, do these fins really work the way it’s been advertised??
What Some Customer Purchasers Have Said
I have not purchased the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins with Dive Mask.
This review is devoted to what other customer purchasers had to say about their experiences using these fins.
30 total reviews on Amazon (Out of 5 Stars):
87% 5 stars
7% 4 stars
3% 3 stars
0% 2 stars
3% 1 star
1) Diver said he did most of his dives in the Caribbean and when he moved to Hawaii, he purchased these fins because of currents there. He noticed the difference between his split fins and his new Mares in how it handled the propulsion. His size 10 ½ dive boots have thick sole which he recommends going with the XL size fins which is what he purchased. Says the spring straps work very well and fins feel secure and snug. He says he is very satisfied overall.
2) Diver’s scuba instructor recommended these fins who said they are the best and last forever. Student purchased and says the fins are very comfortable and so is the mask.
3) Dive couple made a trip to Cozumel. Their Dive Master asked how much their new fins cost. Dive Master said he would have to pay $300.00 in Cozumel. Turns out the wife gave her fins to the Dive Master and so the husband bought her another pair.
4) Diver said he had these fins for 6 years in Kuwait. Weather is very hot. He said the quality of the fins is ‘UNSURPASSED’ and that you wouldn’t get the value if you paid less. Also said the quality of the rubber and the plastic is so good that even after 6 years he couldn’t see signs of wear and tear on the straps.
5) Diver dove at Monterey, CA at Breakwater. Encountered current on the return dive. He said he noticed how little effort it took to move through the water. Said his fins performed excellent and had no foot or leg cramps. He said the only issue he had was taking the fins off at the end of the dive.
A month later, he made another dive trip on a liveaboard boat trip to the Southern Channel Islands and was in very strong current and surge. His words.. ‘ I cannot tell you how well these fins performed. A must have. If you want to enjoy your dive, grab a pair then go have fun’.
6) A diver said the size chart is very accurate .. others said ‘right on the money’.’ Fits very well.’
7) ‘Wife loves it! 14 year old loves them! Husband loves it so much he purchased a second set.’
8) Divers has also said the fins are not difficult to kick with when in water. Very effortless. Easy on the muscles.
9) ‘Love the powerful fins. Very powerful.’
10) Would highly recommend it. Very happy with the purchase. Mask is a bonus. ‘Outstanding performance’.
11) Nice, great, awesome fins, Highly rated fins. Best fins ever owned. Perfect!
12) Easy to put on and use. Great adjustable back straps. ‘I cannot state how much i like the bungee straps’.
13) Mask and fins are both productive on every dive and will use it more often.
14) Shipment is OK.
15) Fits hard sole booties from another manufacturer. Foot pockets are really soft and ‘still’ provided good support.
1) Diver said if you have narrow feet, you will find the toe box is very wide and so your feet will slide side to side. Same diver also said the mask didn’t fit well and the silicone skirt was nice but it distorts… said it was good for a backup mask.
2) A diver said ‘make sure your legs are strong enough to handle the torque’.
3) Diver had ankle strain.
4) Another person says ankles were tiring very quickly. Found the foot pocket was filled with water after snorkeling. Person ‘regrets buying the fins’.
Overall, the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins with Dive Mask fared very well in this review. There are definitely more PROS than there are CONS.
Summary of the Cons:
These fins are too rigid for some divers and not really meant to be used for snorkelling. They’re also not the best fit for divers with narrow feet.
Summary of the Pros:
Divers felt the fins gave them the necessary propulsion in current. They liked the fins for its durability and how the fins would last for years. Easy to kick underwater and don the fins. They even accommodate dive boots with soles very well.
How I Rated My Score:
My score of 4.5 Stars is based on the results of the Pros and I deducted .5 on the fins not able to accommodate narrow feet very well. I think these fins were meant to be rigid to give the propulsion that divers desire. I was quite impressed to see so many divers comment on how much they enjoy wearing these fins!
If you’re looking for the best dive fins that will give you the ability underwater to turn around and back up so you can take pictures, then I would highly recommend the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins with Dive Mask (dive mask is a bonus!!)
I’ve done some research as to where the product can be purchased, and so far the best place to go is Amazon. This is because they also offer FREE shipping. The dealer offers 60-120 days Return Policy. Make sure you keep the packing material and the original box.
I hope you enjoyed reading this review and if you have any experiences with your dive fins or with the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins with Dive Mask, I really would like to hear from you. Any comments and questions are welcomed! Simply put them in the comment box below.
8 thoughts on “Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins Review – Are They Any Good?”
Awesome review. I have been on the hunt for some good scuba diving equipment for a minute now. I came across these on another site. But the guy stated that they were $300 dollars. I wasn’t going for that and look at this. A better written post and a cheaper price. I thank you for this one.
Thank you for your comment and you’re very welcome! ! I’m very glad you came upon my post. Ya… you can get some pretty good prices for quality dive fins under $300.00 for sure. The Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins is an excellent price for quality, comfort and durable fins… great on the propulsion!!
I plan on scuba diving and snorkelling on my next trip to the Caribbean. I want to purchase scuba gear for my husband and I because we’ve found that hiring diving kit can be expensive.
I’ve bookmarked your page to show to my husband. Which Snorkelling gear would you recommend?
Thank you for your comment!
I would say go with the Atomic Aquatics High Performance Full Foot Split Fin for Scuba and Snorkeling. They’re priced at 89.95 US Amazon.com. Full foot split fins are much lighter and very easy to get into and out of. They’re great for warm water diving but too good if you’re diving in strong current. I’ve done a lot of dive with fins like these in the Caribbean and had no problems with a little bit of current. A lot of dive shops in the Caribbean use fins like these to rent out.
Your husband will enjoy the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap fins!! They’re excellent for propulsion…
Let me know your experiences with these fins…
Thanks for the recommendation Monica. We’ll try those out.
You’re very welcome Cheryl!
I intend to purchase a pair of your Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Adjustable Heel Strap Fins but I wear a 10-1/2 (regular width) shoe. What size of your fin should I purchase ?
Thank you for your question. Ummm, good choice!
For men’s shoe size 10 1/2 (regular width), the extra large will be a good fit.
Please let me know if you have other questions. Have a wonderful day!